September went by much faster than I realised. While not as emotionally intense and high as August, I did end up doing quite a bit when I scrolled through my logs on Makerlog. It's one of those months where I did more than I realised, but didn't give myself enough credit and encouragement for it. Thankfully I do monthly wrap-ups!
Sustain and take it higher
- Daily hour of code continues to be the highlight. I really dug deep this month with Vue and Rails. Had loads of fun making tiny tools on Carrd using Vue, like a Google Sheet as database open startup page; playing with GSAP animations to make an accordion drop-downs that drop with an animated bounce; and marvelling at localStorage through to-do list mini-apps. For the first time, I was stumped for days on an issue integrating my very first Rails API with my Vue app. My first taste of coder madness.
- Realising my kid-in-a-candy-store moment with coding and Codepen. This felt like striking gold, because I don't get that feeling of deep satisfaction and excitement often in my career, and now there's one for the taking anytime. Discovered Glitch, Tailwind
- Continued with my tech for good volunteering, and helped a volunteer initiative called Call Home to launch their marketing landing page. I really enjoy doing this work, and foresee myself doing more. I'm considering launching a tech for good patronage on Buy Me A Coffee to pay for domains and servers for more such work!
- Brought Keto List to the next stage - more monetization hacks. Added CTAs for coffees on every blog post, and added new ad products, and it worked! This month was a fruitful month for Keto List, with revenue of $585. Probably my highest ever so far for this hobby project!
- This month was a month of many firsts! Money woes got a bit of a breather when I got a $4k+ for my first ever Zoom speaking engagement for Oct. Popped my Stack Overflow cherry and posted my first ever question there – grateful I didn't get slammed by the elites, and I ended up answering my own question! Bought my first ever Facebook ad for Grant Hunt chatbot, as part of the grant money I secured. So much to learn about how to run ads and optimise that pot of money! My proudest moment near the end of Sept was when I got my first monthly subscription patron member for my tech for good patronage! Just deeply grateful and excited that anyone would want to give me money to do such work.
- Fitness was dismal as per previous months, but at least I found a way to steal time by optimising the mundane - I ended up doing 3 sets of short exercises (pushups, planks, squats) over a day. Not done runs yet, still yet to find a window where it works with baby care. I wish to renew my runs, somehow!
- Sleep is worse, and I'm sleeping later than the intended 11.30pm. Sleep really is the base foundation for what makes a great month from an okay month, and being disciplined and protective about my sleep is something I need to renew.
Stop - stuff I should stop doing
- Got hacked on my Wordpress sites again this month. It's such a pain in the ass, and such an unproductive use of my time. I should really stop using Wordpress and migrate my sites to JAMstack or to static. #fuckwordpress
- Phone died for good, and had an accidental digital detox which felt good and learned some surprising things about what I really need my phone for. I should stop being tied to my phone so much and do more intentional detoxes more frequently.
Onward to October!