I have had a recent cause to reflect on leadership. Both the type of leadership that inspires me and the kind of leader I would like to be.
Leadership is the act of motivating other people toward a common goal. People that have leadership skills showcase a strong personality and interpersonal skills to lead others in their direction.
So, what makes a good leader?
- They are articulate a clear vision, and you always know where the team is going.
- They empower you to solve problems.
- They know your strengths and weaknesses.
- They encourage you to succeed.
- They show empathy and trust in you.
- They listen and provide feedback.
- They support you when the going gets tough.
Not all leaders are the same, but, we all know when we have a good leader. For me, the best leaders are passionate about developing emerging leaders, continuously working to improve the emotional intelligence of a team, and building a culture that a strong team is a foundation to success.
Leaders are not perfect, but when they fail us, we can feel disappointed. It often erodes our trust and respect for them. When this occurs, it is hard for them to gain it back.
As the old saying goes, "people don't quit jobs, they quit bosses".